band page

 

NEWS4

Castleton Silver Band

  Band History

band 1953

Castleton Band was officially inaugurated for the King's Jubilee in 1935.  It originally consisted of anyone who could 'blow',

ex servicemen, ex Salvation Army Bandsmen etc. from Castleton and the surrounding villages.  Following Jubilee year the band became the main musical support for Castleton Garland, Castleton Wakes, Empire Day parade and Armistice Day parade.

In 1937, Mr T.H. Cooke, himself a talented cornet player took over the task of reorganising what was then known as

"The Castleton Brass Band".  Together with a very energetic committee and with the full support of local residents funds

were raised to change Brass to Silver.

This was finally achieved in Coronation Year when the band turned out in their new uniforms, from Jimmy Nichols at 8 stone to

Spider Green at 18 stone.

Over the years Castleton Silver Band has seen many changes, the most shocking, Women joining the ranks of bandsmen.

Vera Dawson (nee Robinson) being the first woman to join the trombone section.  After a lot of huffing and puffing from the

men they looked after her very well.

Harry

Eyre

pic5